Saturday, 25 August 2018

Ethiopian Airlines to own almost half of new Chad national airline

The largest Aviation Group in Africa is set to get a little bigger with a 49 percent investment stake in a new national carrier for Chad.

Ethiopian Airlines has agreed with the Government of Chad for the launch of Chad national carrier, in which the Government of Chad retains 51 percent, Ethiopian takes the other 49 percent. The new carrier is expected to take to the skies on 1st October this year.  

At the launch announcement,  Tewolde GebreMariam, Group CEO of Ethiopian Airlines said, “The strategic equity partnership in the launching of the new Chad national carrier is part of our Vision 2025 multiple hub strategy in Africa. The new Chad national carrier will serve as a strong hub in Central Africa availing domestic, regional and eventually international air connectivity to the major destinations in the Middle East, Europe and Asia. I wish to thank His Excellency President Idriss Deby Itno, the Government of Chad and the stakeholders in the aviation sector in Chad for their strong support to the project.”


Through its multiple hubs strategy in Africa, Ethiopian currently operates hubs in Lomé (Togo) with ASKY Airlines and Malawian in Lilongwe (Malawi), while having the already acquired stakes in Zambia’s and Guinea’s national carriers and making preparations to launch Ethiopian Mozambique Airlines. 

Ethiopian commands the lion’s share of the pan-African passenger and cargo network operating the youngest and most modern fleet to more than 116 international passenger and cargo destinations across five continents. Ethiopian fleet includes ultra-modern and environmentally friendly aircraft such as Airbus A350, Boeing 787-8, Boeing 787-9, Boeing 777-300ER, Boeing 777-200LR, Boeing 777-200 Freighter, Bombardier Q-400 double cabin with an average fleet age of five years. In fact, Ethiopian is the first airline in Africa to own and operate these aircraft.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...